Disability Awareness and Sensitivity Training
Objective: To learn about the culture of the Disabled Community through various lectures
Class time is 4 hours
1. History of Disability Community 15 mins
- Various types of disability Organization
2. History of Disability Civil Rights Laws 35 mins
- 1968 Architectural Barrier Removal Act.
- 1973 Vocational Rehabilitation Act.
- 1990 American with Disability Act.
- Other Disability Civil Rights Laws.
- Disability Employment Civil Rights Laws: 20 mins
- Harassment Types
I. Employer to Employee
II. Employee to Employee
III. Third party to Employee
- Reasonable Accommodation
- Medical Accommodation
- 504/ADA Coordinator
- Fears and Stereotypes: 20 mins
- What people think about the Disability Community?
- What the Employer thinks and says about the Disability Community through its policies and procedures?
- What the Employee thinks about the Disabled Community?
- Marketing to Person with Disability: 50 mins
- What is the marketing potential of the Disability Community?
- Marketing to Person with Disability as relates to customer services.
- Removing building and architectural barrier to access for person with a disability:
- Doing a survey of your site.
- Removing barriers at your site.
- Employee understanding how to communicate and accommodate person with a disability.
- Volunteers, Grants, Resources: 10 mins
- State Parks and Recreational Grants
- Department of Transportation
- IRS Tax Credits